Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Stan, Satan, and the Old Fashioned Gun: Why You're Stoked and You Don't Even Know It.

In this day and age, everybody with a computer thinks they're special. I mean, just look at YouTube for example: I spend 7 months on a cartoon that over the course of 5 months gets just over 100 hits, where somebody can take a dump on an animal and get 2,000,000 in just under 5 min.

With the new modern technology that lets anybody in the world make their own media content and potentially reach millions of people comes the inevitable over saturation of fields that I've been interested my whole life; certainly before there was ever any internet. It almost makes it that much HARDER to get your stuff noticed, because there's an incredibly huge amount of shit to sift through and it's not hard to get lost or stuck in it's murkiness. These days, you have to do something either incredibly ambitious or totally stupid to get noticed. So I'm doing both.

I keep referring, in this space, to the "Stan, Satan, and the Old Fashioned Gun Project." I kept from labeling it anything other than "project" because I wasn't sure if my initial ambitions would still be clearly manifesting themselves 4 months after production started. Guess what: They are.

Thats why I've decided to attempt the impossible: Create the worlds first feature-length (animated) film done in full (except maybe some voice acting and music) by 1 person.

I'm doing this for a few reasons. One of the reasons is I can't tell the story I want to tell in less than an hour (which will probably end up being "feature length" enough for me). There's just too much to go over, and I don't want to make it feel rushed like I did with Lunchbox Duck Does it Right Episode II.

Another reason is the way I'm going about writing it. The entire film, while initially having a basic outline, is being written and created scene-by-scene. This is basically a measure I'm taking to make sure I don't get bored. If I were to do each step at a different time I would get bored and unmotivated. I have 2 or 3 scenes in production at any given time, it's just how I'm choosing to do it. The other reason I'm doing this is for freshness. I find that my best ideas are my initial thoughts and not ones that have had time to marinate over time... epically with a comedy in the vein as this. I want to keep it fresh for no only the audience, but myself.

So, this is a project. With everything I have so far, I's say I'm about 1/6 to 1/7 of the way completed. Not close, but not entirely ridiculous.

I will leave you with a previously un-released clip (unless you check my youtube site) thats been waiting to go to into final production for almost a month now. But here it is, about 95% done.

ooh, by the way... if you want to check out my other shit click HERE

No comments: