Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Lunchbox Duck Does it... Again.

After my fujitsu art tablet shit the bed, I've had to put both projects I was working on, on hold. Of course, one of those projects being my webcomic, Berries and Poop, and the other, a short that was being made in hopes of entering a film festival. Alas, for the time being, both these projects have come crashing to a halt.

After some choice words (i.e: fuck, shit, fuckityshit, shitfuckers), I came to a realization; If I do anything for now, it's going to have to be the old fashioned way: with paper and pencils and inks and scanners and shit. I'm not unfamiliar with this method, in fact, it's all I've ever used to animate. The tablet was going to be a fresh and time-saving way of doing it better with better visuals, but as far as anything I have on youtube, that's all real drawings, inked and scanned and colored.

I immediately got re-excited because I came to the best, most obvious conclusion... Do another episode of Lunchbox Duck Does it Right! Back in 2008, I had actually already started the next installment of the "series," but got left behind during the years of more exciting prospects. Luckily, all of the work I had done was right where I left it. There's even a test video for episode 3 in my youtube channel , that now sits refined, better-looking, and more complete since re-opening the project.



Episode 1 was my first ever animated short. I learned to animate basic shapes and objects, and attempted some storytelling, although it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. I was experimenting with cameras, zooms, and even little things like audio sound effects and voice-editing hadn't even really occurred to me until post-production, so it all looks/sounds pretty rough. Episode 2 was a nightmare. Halfway through the production, my computer crashed, and I lost a considerable amount of my work. The final product has strange cuts and missing parts to scenes, and a lot of odd technical glitches. It was, however, a great learning experience.




I think Episode 3 will be great because it not only gives me a chance to go back and apply what I've learned to earlier projects, but it's great in that I am able to use a lot of unused plot ideas and characters that could never fit anywhere other than in a LBDDIR episode.

Now all I need is a new mic/pop filter and more animation paper. Then we can really get cracking. Until then, enjoy thinking about me storyboarding the best Lunchbox Duck to date.

No comments: